Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Nick's

With rain drowning out my dreams of some end of season riding and opening day @Yankee Stadium; I thought I'd take a trip out to Nick's Pizzeria in Forest Hills, Queens.

Nick's is heralded as one of the best in the city; spoken in the same breath as Una Pizza & DiFara. They manage to make spectacular thin crust pizza without a coal or brick oven as the others do. I headed out to see for myself.

Just a short train ride from the crib brought me to the wonderful neighborhood Forest Hills which charm is more New England than Long Island.



I walked by the place at the crack of noon. It was empty so I was deathly afraid of the place being closed. Fortunately, a delivery guy rolled up and stormed in. Kinda forgot it was super shitty out and most people get delivery. Personally, I can't stand delivery. I'm always afraid they fuck with the food or it gets jacked on the way.

Since I was the first one seated, I got my kit pretty quickly. A small Margherita, no toppings although I was craving a lil' pepp or sausage.

The pizza was preeetty good. Where No.28 gets a 9/10; Nick's gets a 7/10. I like my crust thin, only slightly charred with a little more chew. I was tempted to leave the burnt crust on the tray, but I was f'n starving.

However, the sauce was amazing. Garden fresh with a little sweetness. So good. Worth the trip and a great escape from the piss shit weather.