Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Turkey sandwiches, Indian grocers, Hipsters. Yes, a brief trip to LA.


After dropping Yo off at LAX for her super trip to Asia (Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing and Tokyo) on Saturday, I headed down to the hipster haven that is Fairfax Blvd. in LA to get out of the OC for a couple of hours. The first stop was Canter's for a sandwich that could choke a Clydesdale. Seriously, who needs this much meat on a sandwich? I guess it's in case you accidentally put the wrong condiment on the top layer of bread and meat 22 times. In that case you would still have quite a sandwich left. But really, I think it's good old Jewish value for the customer. Although for $15 it better be big.


I hit all the hot spots, dropping about $300 at The Hundreds, checking out the new fitted spot Hall of Fame, as well as SLB, Supreme, Flight Club LA, Diamond, and of course, Turntable Lab. It's still funny to see the contrast of businesses down there. Supreme shares a wall with a Hasidic supply store, and there are a ton of random people still lurking down there. I'm waiting for the collabos to start happening. I'm sensing a Supreme x New Era x Hirschmann's Hasidic Supply Yarmulke in the works.


On the way out of town, I hit the Kwik E Mart. By now I think everyone has heard that 7-11 re-did 12 of their stores to be Kwik E Marts. Probably one of the best marketing ideas I've ever seen. Buzz Cola, Krusty-O's, Squishees, they had it all. Although I should add that I never actually made it inside since there was a 30 minute wait to get in, complete with security line and guard regulating the situation.



I guess since this one was right off of the 405 and super easy to find, every tourist to hit LA knows about it. Oh yeah, and you can pretty much see Sony Pictures from the parking lot. So yeah, lots of tourists. I did manage to hijack a parking spot and get some shots. It seems like it would be a good idea for them to keep a few 7-11's done up permanently, people are super into it. I was'nt about to wait a half hour to get into a 7-11 though. Hell, I only managed to wait an hour for an iPhone which by the way, documented all the photos you see here.


PS- I think this movie is going to suck. last time I had a good laugh at the Simpsons we were at war in Iraq the first time and I was in the middle of some Social Studies homework. Zing!