Friday, March 28, 2008

Numero 28.

Easter is nice time of year as it brings family together for good food, good times, and celebration. However, for a certain few tards like myself, it is the closer for 40 days of penance during Lent. Every year I try to give up something I love but isn't good for me. Last year was chocolate and this year it was pizza.

After a month of torture, I was eager to get back to my slice slinging ways. But no corner slice would do for my pizza cherry. After the show we headed down to Carmine & Bleeker to hit up No.28, voted one of the Top 5 pizzerias in Manhattan for it's coal oven & fresh ingredients. I had never eaten there, but I was hoping for greatness.

Located just down the block from Magnolia Bakery and just around the corner from the infamous but now leveled brick "Birdshit Banks," R.I.P. lies No.28. It's a nice place, a very welcoming restaurant with it's hard wood, exposed brick, and tile art.

There's dual facing 50inch flat screens up on the wall playing Italian tv, most importantly soccer. Here the rule rang true, if the patrons are of the same nationality as the food served, it has to be good. Here EVERYBODY spoke Italian. The owner walked in and sat while we were waiting for our pizza. After a few moments, they served him this crazy meal. Think of a plate laced with sliced pepperoni and two fried eggs in the middle, served with a basket of fresh steaming bread. I was jelly.

After a short period, probably about 2 beers time, our 29inch pie finally arrived. Well worth the wait. The crust was perfect. Slightly thicker than most coal oven thin crust styles, to give it that perfect chew, fresh sauce, Buffalo Mozzarela imported weekly from Naples, and that all important fresh Basil. Our pie lasted no longer than it a few minutes due to it's sheer delicousness. I wanted to order another one, but the homies caught a bitch.



Def worth the 40 day wait, but I noticed one thing. When before I would eat from any hole in the wall, I admit to have become a bit of a slice snob. Only a good coal oven baked Margherita slice will do. With a game next week, perhaps I'll hit up Zero Otto Nove or Di Fara out in Brooklyn, voted #1 pizza in all of the Boroughs. "Buon Appetito."