Sunday, January 06, 2008

Round Two


Although my ankle was severely jacked after my slight run in with an evergreen yesterday, I could'nt resist a trip to my favorite resort, Powder Mountain. The Forester made it up perfectly, I even passed a couple of big 4WD pickups that were spinning out. Since my days of white knuckling through whiteouts to deliver pizzas while they were still hot,Subarus have never let me down.

This place is the way it should be. No fancy lodge, they still run a bus to pick up riders out in "Powder Country", and they still have the Lightning Ridge Express (a snowmobile with a rope on the back with 5 knots tied in it, one for each customer), which is only $10 per ride to over 800 acres of untouched snow. Definitely a pleasant change from the super resort real estate extravaganzas that are so prevalent everywhere. The coolest thing is to see all the ski patrol kicking it together in the lodge, they are really like a family and have a real love for the place for reasons even beyond the snow conditions.

Do you think someone would take the time and care to make a needlepoint rug for the Copper Mountain or Keystone ticket window? Neither do I.

It killed me to have to take it easy, but I guess that gives me a good reason to go back soon. The drive out there looks like Western New York. Maybe that is why I am so drawn to it. If only they had chicken finger subs up there.