Sunday, January 20, 2008

I'll Pay You Tuesday...



As a kid, I wasn't too much into fast food aside from french fries and some ice cream. I grew up with Grandma cooking me freaky Flip food everyday after school. It wasn't until 8th grade when I was in a neighbor's garage working on our breakdancing routine for the talent show, did I get my first taste of burnt meat.

There was some Big Mac $1 promotion, so Pops bought a stack. We were all hyped to say the least, straight out of a commercial. But tales of low grade meat and scares of food poisoning kept me off the meat wagon for some time aside from chicken wings and the occasional backyard burger.

All Growed Up, I still didn't have a taste for America's sandwich even with every diner on the corner serving the deluxe special and every fancy restaurant serving some bullshit with Roquefort cheese on an English Muffin. Ugh.



From traveling around, I began to slowly grow an appreciation for what specialty burger joints had to offer. But finding a good local joint is pretty tough. The Burger Joint still reigns supreme as the official "In And Out" of NY. However, as of late many places have been popping up trying their version, but still failing to justify me paying $15 for a good old burger, fries, and Coke.



And there came Good Burger. Suffering from a roller coaster of dropping blood sugar, I saw the place, saw some empty seats, and figured how bad could it be? Flashes from the Keenan & Kel classic, "Good Burger", where Keenan has to get a job after crashing into Sinbad and damaging his Stang; danced through my head as I walked into the joint. A quick order and a walk to my seat, I began to see what all the hub-bub was about. Praises from all the approprate sources claimed GB as the shit. I had to eat it to believe it.



Much to my suprise, after my first chomp, I felt transported to that day in Laguna Niguel while sitting on the guardrail just under the 73 when I got my first taste of greatness. It was amazing actually. Same type wrapper, same box, same fries except that I was able to order medium rare and the fries came extra crispy.

Too good to be true. We'll see if they can maintain the same quality with it's multiple locations and after some time of it's recent opening. Overall, it's a proper burger & a decent joint when you're in the neighborhood. Although Burger Joint wins for ambiance, there's a bunch of Popeye/ Wimpy bullshit to look at while you're eating. Church.