Monday, January 07, 2008

Go Buckeyes!


While here visiting Columbus, Ohio area, I thought I'd try and see what makes one of the fattest cities in America, well...fat. Ohio is known to be one of the most congested congregations of chain restaurants. Where it seemed from the endless drives through vast farmlands, that not too many people lived round these parts, I was amazed to find all of the restaurants were packed all of the time. Where I couldn't believe any single restaurant could stay open among the stretch of restaurant after restaurant, people kept coming out of nowhere to get their eat on.



While my previous assumption that the city is just a bunch of tailgating Ohio State fans was only partially untrue; Ohio is simply home to some good ass cookin'. While I did have my share of Tim Hortons and Chipotle burritos, we did manage to find a diamond in the rough. The Red Pig Inn has been voted one of the Best BBQ/ Pork restaurants in the country and year after year has been taking home trophies in Hot Wing and BBQ Rib competitions. Just my kind of joint.



I picked up the sampler which consisted of a few wings, fries, and a third of a slab of ribs. I couldn't imagine a full kit: it would be like the intro to the Flinstones where they tip the car over. Shit was hella proper. Fall off the bone ribs and near perfect wings: good size, great flavor, but I like my wings fried a little harder. Overall, a great foodie experience, when I thought I'd be suffering at Ponderosa every night.