Thursday, March 30, 2006

The road was angry that day...



So we were off to Colorado for the annual Peter Glenn demo days event in Crested Butte, CO. Now, considering the last time I was in Crested Butte was at X Games III and I was living in Buffalo,NY, let's just say the resort seemed a lot smaller. Marian, Karen, and I found out the hard way that you now are required to arrive at Orange County airport 45 minutes prior to departure to get your bags on board. Gone are the days of getting to the airport at 730 for an 800 flight. We were there 44 (yes,44) minutes before and were quickly denied boarding due to our 1 minute lapse in judgement. The trip was cursed from there on in.



Conditions were flat light, and slushy. The mountain is just weird, kind of a cone sitting in the middle of a bunch of smaller mountains. Peter Glenn had us all at Club Med, which, roughly translated, is a bankrupt Comfort Inn with a lot of cheap foamcore signs that somehow make it a Club Med. The place is run by people that travel from location to location doing what they do, mostly college age kids and burnout beach bums that party 24 hours a day. Weird vibe. One thing I will say, the place had good food. The dessert ROOM was off the hook, I seriously have had dreams about things like that. No joke. Also, there was a crazy clam paella which, while I did'nt try it, I felt compelled to document it's mound like splendor.



We rode Wednesday, then Thursday AM pushed the "Let's get the fuck out of here" button and caught the next flight home a full day early. I can safely say I'll never go back to Crested Butte again unless there is some sort of life threatening illness that I may come down with that could be cured by a trip to the Gunnison Valley.