Monday, October 25, 2010

Philly Food Wars.



Headed down to Philly for my annual Cheesesteak Challenge. Big thanks to Daren who was down there for work, for letting me crash and partaking in the beefsteak battle. First off, local Philly fan favorite, Pat's.



To their credit, Pat's was there first and where would we be without a proper steak sandwich. I prefer to order the classic style, "Wiz, With" or Cheez Wiz with Onions. So good. I love provolone and american cheese as much as the next guy, but I gotta keep it classic every time.



Pat's is very very good- served with generous portion of chopped steak, cooked with minced onions. As always I try Pat's first as their serving portions are healthy. We should have prob shared, but nah, gotta keep up our fat kid rep. Now onto Geno's.



Geno's came after Pat's and is usually frowned upon by locals because of that fact, and also for the extravagant neon exterior. Not quite representative of the blue collar Philly ethic, until you get to the window and read the sign that proclaims, "You are in America, order in English". No "Dame un sangwish con queso y cebollas" here.



At Geno's, the steak comes sliced rather than chopped as it is at Pat's and the onions are chopped and not cooked until transparent. Everyone has their preference, but I like my onions almost raw, more flavor.



Although, the battle will continue through eternity, my choice is Geno's. The steak has more flavor with the chopped onions and the bread is much much better. The bread is thicker at Pat's & the sandwich is more bang for your buck since it's larger and more filling as a whole; but the bread at Geno's is softer & more chewy- a better compliment to the sliced steak. I may have to eat two Geno's sandwiches to equal the satisfaction of one Pat's, but thats' fine. I'm only here once a year. bring it on.