Friday, May 21, 2010

Sorriso's Italian Salumeria.



Got some fam' coming into town for the Subway Series @Citi Field this weekend, so I did a little research on good eatin' in the neighborhood. Aside from my own favorites like Sac's Place, Rizzo's, and Sal, Kris, & Charlie's Deli aka "The Sandwich Kings"; I was curious if there was any places that I had not gone to in the neighborhood.



After a little surfing on the web, I found a grip of Greek restaurant locations (I only eat Greek in Jersey, sorry) and came upon some stellar reviews about Sorriso's Italian Deli. Many were claiming even better than Sal, K & C's. Of course, I was skeptical. How can you beat an Italian Combo the size of your leg for 6 bucks? Fuggetaboutit.



Apparently, Deniro put the deli on the map after localizing the place while filming for "The Bronx Tale". After his recommendation, many visted the place and you can't find a bad review online. From the fresh bread from Parisi Bakery (across the street), to the incredible home made Mozzarella & Soppresata, to the welcoming staff, it's apparently the shit. I had to go see myself... especially since it's only 3 blocks from the crib.



About a 7/10 on the forearm meter. Not bad. I had all intention of ordering a "Scarface" Sandwich: homemade roast pork thin sliced on a hero with melted fontina, balsamic mayo, lettuce and roasted peppers. But after walking in and seeing all the home cooked goodness in the deli cases, I had to goto one of the classics. Eggplant Parmesam Hero.



You can only imagine the heavenly scent as I unraveled this marvel of a sandwich. Garlic, Roasted Peppers, Grilled Eggplant.. F'n A. After the first bite, I couldn't eat the sandwich fast enough. Check out the chunk of fresh mozz in the sandwich. No Polly-O bullshit here.



The f'n bomb. I didn't even mind spilling some of it on my new Griptapes. I can easily say that the Deli visit was a revelation and I can only kick myself for not finding it earlier. I'll prob even try and eat there tomm. I need to sample all the goodness that they have to offer. Get some.