Wednesday, September 16, 2009

R.I.P. Theresa's.


With scattered showers in the forecast shutting down plans of skating my local spot, I picked up my bike and rode up north to Ditmars Avenue. I was first intro'd to the place when PZA lived on 21st and 21st. Pretty solid pizza, but their claim to fame was their $1.50 rice balls and $2.00 chicken rolls. Such a meager price to pay for such good home-cooked goodness. But I guess at those prices, it's hard to stay in business. Rest in Pizza Theresa's, we'll always miss you.


But luckily just down the street is the now infamous Sal, Kris, & Charlie's Deli: "The Sandwich King of Astoria." I was saving the visit for my birthday, but as fate would have it, I was having some proscuitto & capicola today. Ordered up "The Bomb" with everything fielding questions from the counter dudes as I waited paitently for my sandwich.

"How much does it weigh?"
"I dunno."
"Like 5 pounds, 7 pounds?"
"Guess so."
"You should weigh it."
"Sure."


I gladly paid my $8.50 which included a 20oz Welch's after wrestling my bike from the deli guys who took turns lifting the bike trying to figure out my bike's actual weight. "Bullshit Vinny, it's gotta be like 6 pounds."


Parked at the local b.ball court and opened the wonder of a sandwich that is appropriately titled, "The Bomb". The thing is fucking massive like a dozen iPhones and dwarfs any bullshit from Subways or Quiznos. Where the White House Sub Shop on Artic Avenue in Atlantic City will remain supreme as the premier (hot) sandwich joint in the Tri-State area; Sal's might very well be the (cold cut) Sandwich King.



Sandwich Jizz. Suprisingly for such a large grip, most of the sandwich stayed intact save for a few drops of mayo/ oil/ vinegar and some fixins. But true to the CitySearch reviews, the sandwich can be tough to take down for one person and is best served for two as the contents soak into the bread making it not as palatable as the first half. The crispness of the sesame hero bun is lost after the condiments take over. But overall, absolutely delicious & worth the trip; almost worth the demise of Theresa's Chicken Rolls.