Friday, March 16, 2012

Now Open.



I wish. Nothing like Tae's Tre and some Red Curbs to get the day going.





Finally went to Salman Agah's pizza joint. It was okaaaaaaaaay. Well, pretty good- decent for a Los Angeles pizza shop. I don't want to be some pizza snob and complain, "Oh, NY pizza is the best because of the water" etc etc. But pizza outside of NY always tastes funny. All the core ingredients are there, but usually the crust lacks a certain flavor & moisture you get from a NY slice; not to mention the sauce and cheese can often taste sour.



Perhaps because the slices have been sitting around at the shop since there's no real "foot traffic" in LA, everyone drives to everything blah blah. But there's something special about walking into a pizza shop around lunch and having to wait for a pie to come out and get a fresh slice from a steaming pie straight out of the oven. Maybe next trip I'll def order a fresh large for a re-review. We'll see...


Polito's: 38-12 Broadway, Astoria.

I don't need fancy pizza. I don't want truffles, panchetta, or spinach on there- just dough, sauce and cheese. It was nice to be able to walk into my corner spot, eat lunch on my way to the train, no utensils just a slice and a Coke. It's not that much to ask for, is it?


Sal & Carmine's: 2671 Broadway, UWS Manhattan.

And why can't pizza places out here have normal names like Vinny's or Joey's? Someone recommended a place close by called Lucifers. Go fuck yourself with that shit. I should set the place on fire to teach them a lesson.


Sac's Place: 2541 Broadway, Astoria.

Can someone also please explain to me why there's no Italian community here? No Little Italy? Just seems kind of strange. Every major city should have it's major ethnic cultural communities: Chinatown, Little Manila, Little Italy etc. As much as I tried to take advantage of it while living in Astoria. In retrospect, I should have eaten one more Italian Combo or had one more calzone.


Sal, Kris & Charlie’s Deli: 33-12 23rd Ave, Astoria.

Oh, I'd fuckin' kill somebody for a chicken roll or rice ball. All East Coasters enjoy yourself. I pretty much just eat at home these days or enjoy the occasional Hawaiian BBQ because I can't eat burgers every day and Mexican food is so whatevs. Fuck Burritos.



Rudy's, San Gennaro Booth 2011- 174 Hester Street, Little Italy, Manhattan.