Wednesday, December 01, 2010

$.99 Fresh Pizza.

After the onslaught of fancy pizzeria restaurants of 2009, it's nice to see a grip of dollar slice joints pop-up. With all the economy issues we all experienced, it was nuts to see the price of slices shoot up to almost $5 a slice. What was once a poor NYer's savior for a cheap meal was no more. I love pizza, but for the longest I was priced out of my own favorite meal, forgoing a slice for a brown bag lunch. A personal margherita pie for $25 dollars? Go fuck yourself. Don't get me wrong I love San Marzano tomatoes and fresh Buffalo mozzarella imported from Naples, but motherfucker I'm broke and I'm hungry.



A few that I have gone to have been a little sour and greazy. My favorite is down on 6th Ave and West 4th. The slice is pretty solid: good crisp to the crust, sweet sauce, and just the perfect amount of cheese. It really gives Joe's down the street a run for it's money. 3 bucks for 2 slices and a Coke? Lunch for cheaper than the subway ride there? I ain't complaining for shit.



The neighborhood brings back so many memories. It hosted prob my fave RIP spot, the Birdshit Banks on Bleeker and 6th. You could ollie the hip or over the benches from bank to bank. So fun. PSNY was also right around the corner. This was the early 90s when you could still skate at Wash Square Park. We would spend summers in the West Village skating around the neighborhoods there, eating falafels and drinking 40s when the sun set. Oh, it used to be so simple then.


Peep @2:25.