Thursday, January 21, 2010

Top 5.



Tried to put one of my long time clients on blast today after he returned from his Holiday trip through Asia with a salty, "Must Be Nice". But then he came back with, "F*U*, you can't say that you haven't been on some crazy trips & done some crazy sh** since I've known you. Then he got me thinking. Despite the last year or so crushing any sort of disposable income for extravagant travels, within the past decade I have been fortunate enough to live it up pretty good.

5. Baldface.



I've been extremely fortunate to have been to Baldface, BC not once but twice. The first trip was like a week in Killington, but the second was prob the best riding I experienced and may ever experience. Great crew & amazing conditions. For years I would watch videos with heli powder scenes and say, "Fuck this Faggot Shit". But now I have a big respect for big mountain riding & get hyped watching those huge turns. Big thanks to DMC & the Program for that one. I love a day at Creek/ Stratton but BC might just be the best place to ride ever. Def some of the best turns & some of the best times I have ever had.



4. Tokyo.



Prior to going to Japan, I have never really left the country aside from a few trips to Toronto during college. I've always had a fascination with Japanese culture from the anime to the food and esp the cars. This was right in the middle of my car modding phase peak and I was able to travel to Japan and secure some of the rarest parts ever produced and go to Subaru fan heaven: the ScLaBo "Car Do" dealership in Tachikawa, Japan. This place was amazing and had all of the rarest cars on display and for sale. Still kick myself for not getting an international license.

Japan is an amazing place: Tokyo is a mezmerizing city of energy, people & culture. Coming back to Manhattan, NYC almost felt tame & underpopulated. The Japanese are incredibly polite, the city is very very clean. Every experience from shopping to the travel was nuts. It's all a blur, but I remember being fascinated every moment. A must visit for anyone with a love of travel.



3. The East Coast (*for free).



After building my car, I was blessed by winning a few car shows, got some corporate sponsors & was able to tour the Eastern seaboard all on the company's dime doing shows for a few years. Partied a bunch, made some great friends & had a great time. My carpet queen is now my regular car as I sold my beater & the car show scene all but has dried up. Oh, the memories.


Never quite made the cover, but my good buddy, Billy did. Close enough.



4. Hawaii.



Can't go on enough about how epic Hawaii is. Maybe soon I'll get back to closing out my tour article without smacking myself for not jumping ship & ripping that "Help Wanted" sign off the front door at Sunglass Hut Waikiki.

5. Getting Hitched.



Took my girl to the Brooklyn Bridge, dropped the bomb, grabbed a pizza & never looked back. After the many years of looking forward to trip after trip, it's nice to have a reason to stay home.



It's a new year & a new decade. Counting my blessings & looking forward to new adventures. Time to stack some chips.