Monday, October 08, 2007

Fortress of Lauderdale.


Thursday night I took the redeye from Long Beach direct to Ft. Lauderdale, FL for the Peter Glenn Southeast Winter Sports Show. After a 530am touchdown and some recovery at the hotel, I headed off to meet Flinn and sling some snowboard product in the air conditioned respite of the Broward County Convention Center. After the show we headed to a damn fine Thai establishment and then proceeded to talk shit until the wee hours with some other industry types.

On the way home I got caught in a thunderstorm while walking across the bay drawbridge back to my hotel. Fearing an iPhone shortcircuit, I was forced to wrap my phone in my shirt and make a run for it like a shirtless, homeless crackhead. By the time I got to the hotel I was as wet as if I had just jumped off of the aforementioned drawbridge. Great.

Saturday we sold some more gear. Nothing more, nothing less. I will say I was stoked to sell a powder board to a guy in the middle of Florida on a 95 degree day. Still got it.


I was able to check out Las Olas Boulevard, Ft. Lauderdale's main shopping zone, which was pretty legit. Ft. Lauderdale has a ton of Venice-esque canals, with huge homes and multi-million dollar yachts lining their shores. Lots of moneyed types milling about, wearing lots of yacht wear. Definitely a unique scene. Lots of people on shore leave from yachting around the Caribbean. A different way of life, always cool to see.

I was out of there very early Sunday AM and was back in the LBC before 9am on Sunday for some Eva time. Quick and painless, just the way I like my trips to be. Toronto is next, with a brief stop in NYC and then onto Burlington (for the second time in a month) for early next week. It's that time of year...